This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. M.T. Bass will be awarding a $50 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour. Click on the tour banner to see the other stops on the tour.
1. Although I am a Commercial Pilot and a Certified Flight Instructor, I am afraid of heights. Or, maybe as my brother-in-law Tom says, I’m actually afraid of falling. I don’t feel that way in an airplane cockpit. There’s a huge difference to me between altitude and heights. I just don’t think about it there.
2. I spent a lot of years doing computer programming, designing business CRM (Customer Relationship Management) projects, and a golfer’s statistical tracking system. I inadvertently prepared for it by studying Philosophy in college. Little did I know how important that class in logic—and all the ORs, ANDs, IFs, THENs, and THEREFOREs I had to sort out—would be for putting together computer machine language arguments.
3. After college I wanted to learn how to do a professional recording of our band, so I apprenticed at a local recording studio. This was in the now by-gone era of magnetic tape, head degaussers, and editing with grease pencils and razor blades. To teach that to us, I found this old assignment given to me and my buddy Kevin to put together a 10 minute (exactly!) audio montage which had to include: 1) an atomic bomb explosion; 2) the sound of a race car; 3) Knute Rockne: https://soundcloud.com/electron-alley/who-is-harry-truman-audio-montage
4. I’ve played 788 live music gigs with Project Mojo and well over a 1,000 total since I started playing guitar at 16 years old.
5. The fastest I have ever driven is 118 MPH on Interstate 70
Sweating it out in the former Belgian Congo as a civil war mercenary, with Sparks turning wrenches on his T-6 Texan, Hawk splits his time flying combat missions and, back on the ground, sparring with Ella, an attractive young missionary doctor, in the sequel to My Brother’s Keeper.
Read an Excerpt
He looked at me.
“What is wrong?”
“Do you know what they did?”
“Who is they?”
“The Simbas. Up north. In Stanleyville.”
I shook my head.
He nodded his head quickly up and down. “You would not think that—you know, the cruelty of it all.”
“What did they do?”
“Well, you know they have several hundred prisoners up there and they are threatening to kill them all if the government forces come.”
“And we’re going, right?”
“Oh, yes. Oh, yes. You will hear about it tomorrow.”
“But what did they do?” I asked.
“The Simbas? They are—“ He stood up.
“Eric.” I stood up and grabbed his shoulder. “What is going on?”
Eric slowly sat back down. “It was the mayor.”
“And the mayor there, Bond…Bondess…Bondekwe or something. I don’t know, but they stripped him down completely naked and stood him up in front of a mad, mad crowd of rebels.”
I waited. “And?”
Eric shook his head.
“And they carved his liver out—while he was still alive.”
I could feel my face squint in repulsion.
“Yes, while he was still alive.”
“Then they cut it up while it was still hot and—and—and they ate it in front of him as he died.”
I sat down at the end of my cot. “Jesus.”
“Yes, damn it—Jesus Christ, already. Yes, right in front of him. While he watched them and died…”
About the Author:
Born in Athens, Ohio, M.T. Bass grew up in St. Louis, Missouri. He graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University, majoring in English and Philosophy, then worked in the private sector (where they expect “results”) mainly in the Aerospace & Defense manufacturing market. During those years, Bass continued to write fiction. He is the author of eight novels: My Brother’s Keeper, Crossroads, In the Black, Somethin’ for Nothin’, Murder by Munchausen, The Darknet (Murder by Munchausen Mystery #2), The Invisible Mind (Murder by Munchausen Mystery #3) and Article 15. His writing spans various genres, including Mystery, Adventure, Romance, Black Comedy and TechnoThrillers. A Commercial Pilot and Certified Flight Instructor, airplanes and pilots are featured in many of his stories. Bass currently lives on the shores of Lake Erie near Lorain, Ohio.
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/author/mtbass
Apple iBooks: https://books.apple.com/us/book/jungleland-white-hawk-aviation-stories-2/id1526689285
Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jungleland-mt-bass/1137448962
a Rafflecopter giveaway