Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review: Liar's Guide to True Love by Wendy Chen



Liar's Guide to True Love by Wendy Chen
(a full length contemporary romance published by Carina Press)




Wedding planner Cassandra Hanley is in the business of making other people's dreams come true. But for some reason, whenever she meets a potential mate of her own, she finds herself telling little (and not so little) white lies. She's not trying to sabotage her relationships on purpose: as a people pleaser, she just naturally tells men what she thinks they want to hear.

When Cassandra meets Nick, she's determined to be herself this time—until she learns he abhors weddings. So she recasts herself as an advertising exec, and now she's scrambling to cover up the lie...with more lies.

Into the tangled web wanders Cassandra's college sweetheart, Kevin. Kevin, the one man who knows the real Cassandra, and loves her anyway. Could he have been The One all along?

Torn between the past and the present, Cassandra is about to learn that you can't plan the perfect life the way you can plan the perfect wedding.



I didn’t think I would enjoy this book as much as I did. As you follow the heroine through the story plot, you also follow her three friends, her family and ex-boyfriend. You get to know them all so well that, as you read, it is as though you are watching a movie. The author's descriptive writing showed me everything so clearly. It is a delightful story and fun to read. I gulped it down in one long sitting (it's not a short book -- but I couldn't put it down).

The main theme is, of course, relationships. Not only hers, but the others in the story. Her problem is that she lies constantly to make herself what she thinks the hero wants her to be. I giggled and laughed as I read about her misadventures as she tried to get herself out of the dilemma she caused.

The story is not as predictable as you might think, and so I had to keep reading to find out if she ended up with who I knew was Mr. Right. I also wanted her friends to end up with their own Mr. Right. You will have to read it to find out how it ended.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and hope the author releases something again soon. She made me a fan with this delightful tale. I'd highly recommend it to all readers, especially to women who didn’t marry early in life, of those looking again in their 30’s. Lots of fun.


FTC Disclaimer: This book is from my personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... inquiring minds want to know: what do you think?