Happy Anti-Valentines Day! :-) Today's Top Ten Topic is "Books that Broke My Heart a Little"--I had to go way back for most of these as I tend to avoid books that make me cry.
1. Old Yeller by Fred Gipson--before it was a movie, it was a book. Breaks my heart every time Travis has to shoot the dog. Why are all the classics for kids so tragic?
2. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Old Dan saves the boy, but loses his life in return--and Little Ann dies of grief. sniff
3. The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks -- who is always a heartbreaker.
And, once again a dog dies saving the life of the one he loves... I'm seeing a pattern here. (And, before you ask, no I've not seen Marley and Me and there are no plans to. It's not just dogs dying, though, that make me tear up ...
4. The Yearling by Marjorie Rawlings. I do understand about the life lessons involved, but ...yep... when the deer becomes a nuisance and has to die--I cried.
6. Love Story by Eric Segal...the very first romance I cried over...and in the middle of Spanish class no less (sorry, Mr. Webb!!!)
7. Beyond Reach by Karin Slaughter. I'm a long time Karin Slaughter fan, but the ending of this book made me cry--and it took me a long time to read the next book in her series. I have a friend who still won't read her--doesn't trust her not to "do it again." I still hurt when I think about Sara, Jeffrey, and their "HEA" that was cut so short.
Like I said ... I avoid books that make me cry, so this is a shorter post than normal. Interested in seeing what others think (and making me a list of books to avoid... lol)