Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books that Broke My Heart


Click the banner to play along!



Happy Anti-Valentines Day! :-) Today's Top Ten Topic is "Books that Broke My Heart a Little"--I had to go way back for most of these as I tend to avoid books that make me cry.



1. Old Yeller by Fred Gipson--before it was a movie, it was a book. Breaks my heart every time Travis has to shoot the dog. Why are all the classics for kids so tragic?







2. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Old Dan saves the boy, but loses his life in return--and Little Ann dies of grief. sniff






3. The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks -- who is always a heartbreaker.

And, once again a dog dies saving the life of the one he loves... I'm seeing a pattern here. (And, before you ask, no I've not seen Marley and Me and there are no plans to. It's not just dogs dying, though, that make me tear up ...



4. The Yearling by Marjorie Rawlings. I do understand about the life lessons involved, but ...yep... when the deer becomes a nuisance and has to die--I cried.





5. I thought I would give Sparks another try with The Notebook... nope, cried there too.








6. Love Story by Eric Segal...the very first romance I cried over...and in the middle of Spanish class no less (sorry, Mr. Webb!!!)






7. Beyond Reach by Karin Slaughter. I'm a long time Karin Slaughter fan, but the ending of this book made me cry--and it took me a long time to read the next book in her series. I have a friend who still won't read her--doesn't trust her not to "do it again." I still hurt when I think about Sara, Jeffrey, and their "HEA" that was cut so short.


Like I said ... I avoid books that make me cry, so this is a shorter post than normal. Interested in seeing what others think (and making me a list of books to avoid... lol)

11 comments:

  1. And here I thought I'd be the only person to include Love Story on their list this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put The Notebook on my list too. It was such a heartbreaking story. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I forgot about Old Yeller. That book was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I'm in the middle of The Yearling right now and I know it's going to end badly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, and The Yearling--yep, they's be up at the top of my list too!
    Came here from ICL.
    Sara
    http://thewritershadeofpale.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must of been the only person who didn't cry at The Notebook! I expected to, I had my tissues at the ready but never needed them. It definitely broke my heart though!

    Thanks for stopping by! You definitely should check out The Book Thief, it's absolutely brilliant! I only cried at the end of it, luckily I wasn't bawling my way through the entire book or I don't think my copy would have survived!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see Nicholas Sparks did it again!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only book I've read in this list is The Notebook. And yes, that made me cry. Nicholas Sparks books are strictly forbidden unless I have a whole box of tissues and an absent husband (nothing like getting overly emotional while reading only to have your husband laugh at you - which makes you cry harder).

    Thanks for visiting my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, I left out Love Story!!! I read the book and watched the movie when I was a teen, which went really well with my emo before there was emo phase.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize Old Yeller was a book, but the movie was definitely heartbreaking. There's something about animal books and movies that just totally ups the heartbreak factor. I'm afraid to even go out to movies with animals in anymore because of all the crying that's sure to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOW DID I FORGET OLD YELLER?!?! I also don't like books that make me cry! Great list, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

So... inquiring minds want to know: what do you think?