Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review: Edge of Midnight by Leslie Tentler




The writer becomes the story when crime reporter Mia Hale is discovered on a Jacksonville beach—bloodied and disoriented, but alive. She remembers nothing, but her wounds bear the signature of a sadistic serial killer. After years lying dormant, The Collector has resumed his grim hobby: abducting women and taking gruesome souvenirs before dumping their bodies. But none of his victims has ever escaped—and he wants Mia back, more than he ever wanted any of the others.

FBI agent Eric MacFarlane has pursued The Collector for a long time. The case runs deep in his veins, bordering on obsession…and Mia holds the key. She'll risk everything to recover her memory and bring the madman to justice, and Eric swears to protect this fierce, fragile survivor. But The Collector will not be denied. In his mind, he knows just how their story ends.


We hosted Leslie Tentler on our blog during her tour for this book, and I'll admit -- I'd never heard of her until that day. But I was intrigued by the blurb and decided to grab a copy of the book once I saw that she'd reassured our commenters that they didn't have to be read in order. I'm so glad I did (and SO very glad I discovered her -- I've since gotten the other two books in the series).

Edge of Midnight features a truly deranged villain. You know, the kind that keeps you up at night or invades your nightmares when you sleep. He does terrible things to the women he kidnaps and murders and enjoys every bit of the torture he inflicts.

Enter our tortured hero, Eric. His wife was one of the victims of The Collector, chosen specifically because she was married to him. Now, Eric is determined to find this serial killer no matter what he has to do.

I loved that Eric had such deep feelings about everything. He didn't really shut himself off after his wife was murdered, though he certainly had reservations about ever getting involved again. Of course, when he met Mia, those reservations were tested.

Mia is such a strong woman. She survives being taken by The Collector, and then undergoes so much in order to regain her memory so they might find him. She's the perfect foil to Eric. She did do a couple of things that might be considered TSTL (that's "too stupid to live"), but I still admired her.

This was a book I didn't want to put down. I thought about it when I wasn't reading it, I made a point to find time to read even with my crazy busy schedule. I had to know how everything would work out. It was a perfect balance of nail-biting suspense and romantic love story. I highly recommend this story to all romantic suspense lovers out there.

Ms. Tentler, I'm so glad I found you! I can't wait to dive into your other two books.

4/5



FTC Disclaimer: This book is from my personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... inquiring minds want to know: what do you think?