This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Jon Ketzner will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN gift card to a randomly drawn winner. Click on the tour banner to see the other stops on the tour.
Welcome to It's Raining Books. What draws you to the genre you write in, and why?
My new book “ Coincidence” is an historiographic meta-fiction novel. It’s an historic novel with an all knowing narrator to help quite the narrative and put plot points into context. The narrator speaks directly to the reader. My novel is centered by the assassination of JFK. One of the advantages of writing in this genre is that the principal actions and words of many of the main characters…the actual historical folks…are known, often in high detail by the readership. The challenge then is to weave the fictional characters, often based on real people or a conflation of real people, into the known record. This allows for the history to take on a color and depth not available in a dry reading of what is generally accepted as the historical record.
The Kennedy assassination is particularly rich in bigger-than-life personalities and world events. The era is well remembered by Baby Boomers, as well as many members of later generations. The underlying story, despite the hundreds of books, articles, movies, etc already out there, is still rich in drama, personality and cultural impact. That makes writing in a fictional genre that does a deep dive into what went on has a rich trove of record and an inviting challenge to fold that known record around created characters and episodes that enhance and humanize the retelling of the real events.
What research is required?
Well, obviously, to weave fiction into history requires a pretty good command of the actual history. The Kennedy assassination, in particular, is awash in historical record. It happen not that long ago, had an enormous impact on culture, politics and society. The good news is that there is tons of easily available records, as well as a vast library of fictional and alternative explanations for the events. That it is also the bad news when it comes to research. I chose th concentrate on the characters and dialogues…for both real and fictional characters…and deal with the events at a remove but close to the generally accepted history. This was all done on-line. The book is intended as a quick and entertaining read, not an over wrought tome of facts and opinions.
Name one thing you learned from your hero
The closest character that I have to an heroic protagonist is Jackie Kennedy’s Secret Service agent. He is based on an actual person…an adopted orphan who grew up to serve many decades protecting the First Family. My character…Clark Booth…is a dedicated professional, but a romantic at his core. This allows for him to be more than just a hardass…which he is…but also a vulnerable and relatable man.
Do you have any odd or interesting writing quirks, habits or superstitions?
Not really. I do not work from an outline. Due to family requirements, my wife and I spend many hours driving…I use these times to do much of my story plotting. I use these names of friends and family when naming minor, plot benign characters. This makes my books fun for them. They often buy several copies, sign them and give as hostess gifts and things.
I write sequentially, very seldom going back and inserting new chapters or expository wording. My target word count for a novel is 70,000 words, which makes my story a relatively quick read and forces me to eschew flowery, distracting prose.
Are you a plotter or a panther?
As noted, I think about my story until I have it essentially resolved in my brain. Then I write it without benefit of a written outline so that’s kind of by the seat of my pants…but the narrative is generally well plotted in my brain just waiting for a download onto my laptop.
What’s sitting to my right?
A bookstore window overlooking a downtown shopping area. I do all my writing in either bookstores, coffee shops or saloons. I very seldom write at home. I am not a kitchen table Hemingway.
Anything new coming up for you?
Well, I’m putting some effort into increasing the profile of my latest book. My next book, I think, will be a police procedural in which a Philadelphia detective investigates the 27 Club deaths of famous rock stars who died at age 27. That should be ready for proofing and editing by next Easter.
Any questions for our readers?
Not really. I write fiction exclusively. I read fiction exclusively in book form. But apparently, I am an outlier…apparently, 75% of fiction readers and 75% of fiction writers are female. I guess I would be curios to read your readers take on that phenomenon.
On the eve of President John F. Kennedy's final trip to Dallas, an irreverent narrator from the Ether begins to reveal the hidden chain of events that history never recorded. Spanning decades and weaving together Hollywood legends, political dynasties, secret affairs, and forgotten tragedies, Coincidence imagines how seemingly unrelated lives become entangled in the most infamous assassination of the twentieth century. From Joseph P. Kennedy and Gloria Swanson to Jackie Kennedy, Mary Pinchot Meyer, and the young Lee Harvey Oswald, every choice, passion, and betrayal sends ripples through time. Behind every headline lies another story, and every story hides a secret long buried. As the strands converge on November 22, 1963, the line between fate and accident begins to blur. Rich in historical detail and provocative speculation, Coincidence asks: was it really coincidence at all?
Read an Excerpt
Jackie rarely consulted him about her clothing. Her sense of style, if not her sense of humor, was notorious.
“The pink.”
She seemed surprised. “Why the pink?”
“Texas. All those tired cowgirls raising their brat kids to be Miss America. They adore pink in Texas.”
The First Lady eyed the pink at arm’s length. She shrugged. “Okay. The pink.”
“But the hat,” POTUS said, “could you do without the hat. I hate those things.”
Jackie shook her head.
“I’ll need the hat. Without the bubble top on, my hair would be a mess.”
The president leaned back against the pillows on his rock-hard bed, supine in his boxers and the argyles Bobby had given him which bore the presidential seal. He grinned.
“Remember the times when we would drift down the Potomac, standing by the rail, the wind blowing wildly through your hair, and there on the river in the middle of the city you would sink sexily to your knees…”
“Drop dead, Mr. President.” Words Jackie would soon want back.
The door to Suite 850 opened and George Lapp entered to help The President dress. He nodded at Jackie. He had seen her naked many times and was indifferent to the marital scenario into which he had strolled. Jackie smiled curtly and sidled toward her own room to don the pink Chanel, including its matching hat.
Before she left, the President grinned and said to his valet. “I might need the back brace today, George, had a strenuous night.”
About the Author: Jon Ketzner was born in Cumberland, Maryland in the lovely Appalachian foothills. He grew up in Baltimore then graduated from Towson University with a degree in mathematics and went on to a long career as a consulting actuary. For many years, Jon and his family lived in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania before moving back to Cumberland in 1990.
As a recovering actuary and inspired by the Maryland Writers Association’s “Notable Authors” monthly challenges, Jon decided to try his hand at writing and give his left-brain side a rest. He cites as influences: Henry Fielding, Joseph Heller, Gregory McDonald, and Tim Dorsey.
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/34506564.Jon_Ketzner


No comments:
Post a Comment
So... inquiring minds want to know: what do you think?